Please apply for membership using our online application. If you have any trouble, contact the CMS membership department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (720) 858-6306.
If you would rather apply using the downloadable PDF form, please use the links below:
Application for physicians: Download
Application for interns/residents: Download
Application for medical students: Download
To endure the challenging and constantly evolving medical environment, we as physicians urgently need—now more than ever before—to connect and stay connected to each other. Your Colorado Medical Society provides this unity while also providing the tools to help your bottom line, help you navigate new quality and reporting requirements, and help you transform your practice to increase your career satisfaction.
Representing more than 7,500 Colorado physicians, CMS is the only group in the state solely speaking on your behalf in the legislature, the courtroom, and the boardroom. We provide an array of member benefits, including aggressively advocating for physicians at both the state and national levels, building strong physician leaders, providing physicians with everyday practice support and discounts, advocating for effective patient care, and providing legal guidance and support.
Our advocacy is broader than just political advocacy; we are your voice in the public policy arena with regulators, the media, health plans and the broader patient community. We continue to push an agenda that’s focused on benefitting you professionally, while also working to improve the health and wellness of your patients.
Here are just a few examples of what we’ve accomplished in the last year:
- CMS teamed up with specialty and county societies to advocate for systemic reforms to Medicaid as Colorado prepares to expand the program under federal health care reform. These reforms include more patient engagement, administrative simplification, fair payment and evidenced-based liability protections. Leveraging our solid working relationship with state officials, we are currently advising agencies and top officials on implementation dates for these systemic reforms.
- As Gov. Hickenlooper leads a multi-state effort to reverse the tide of prescription opioid abuse, your colleagues—all practicing experts in pain management and addictionology—have developed goals for addressing this issue and are participating in statewide roundtables to produce sustainable, evidence-based reforms that limit the abuse and diversion of narcotics while preserving your ability to care for your patients with chronic, non-cancer pain.
- Because we are all in the same courthouse, CMS monitors active court cases for opportunities to submit amicus briefs that protect Colorado’s relatively stable liability climate. We are developing a strategy with COPIC to defend against an expected CTLA attack on the damages caps and the confidentiality of professional review records in the Legislature.
- CMS filed a civil suit for injunctive relief against the Colorado Board of Chiropractic Examiners to prevent the implementation of an unsafe chiropractic board rule authorizing the injection of various nutritional supplements and other unspecified compounds. Yielding to pressure, the chiropractic board voted in January to overturn the rule.
- CMS is actively advocating for bills in the state legislature that will improve the practice environment and quality of care while defending our profession against attacks that threaten patient care and weaken the patient-doctor relationship.
Helping your bottom line
CMS’ Member Benefits program provides members access to value-added products and services as well as discounts on automobile purchases, liability insurance, financial services, medical practice supplies, and other offerings.
CMS is a member-driven organization, reaching out often to gauge your concerns and gather your input. We rely on your participation to set our course and guide our direction and we value the volunteers who comprise our 10 councils, committees, and workgroups.
We also provide training through the Advanced Physician Leadership Program, a yearlong program that focuses on leadership, collaboration, teamwork, systems thinking and emotional intelligence in the context of health care delivery.
Improving the practice environment and patient care
CMS understands that many physicians are struggling to keep your doors open in unpredictable markets or struggling to understand how the changing payment models will affect your bottom line. As public reporting on the quality and cost of care becomes commonplace, we are here to help you maintain your reputation, ensure a financially strong practice and improve the care and relationships with your patients by providing the answers, advice and tools you need to excel in big data health care.
At the AMA interim meeting in November 2012, CMS passed a resolution to address administrative complexities, recommending simplification of all actions required for transactions between payers and providers including standardizing the claims revenues process.
We are looking out for you and your interests as commercial insurance companies, mega-hospital systems and federal and state governments push to shape and change Colorado health care. You can count on us to provide you with the trusted resources, expert advice and cutting-edge information you need for a thriving practice.
From boardrooms to community rooms to the Capitol steps, we fight for you and your patients every day. With physicians by physicians and for physicians—the Colorado Medical Society is here for you. Join today. Click here to fill out our online application.